Monday, October 12, 2009

The Last Several Months in 10 Pictures or More

Hi. It's me. Alicia. I figure since just about everyone is married, and Jaime and Tiff fail at using the blog, this baby is kind of mine. Sorry, my life just isn't that exciting. Posting has been on my to-do list for months now. Things have been crazy. Whoops. In chronological order, here are some highlights of my life since . . . JUNE!

1st Texas Trip

I left the day after my students graduated (or something close to the day after - I can't remember anymore) for some R&R in the great state of Dallas. :) Everything really is bigger there. Except the roommates. And Abbey!!!! It was oh so fun to meet up with her and see cute Macy and Abbey's belly. Please bless I'm that small when I'm that pregnant. My attempt to have a trip romance failed miserably. But I DID get Jenn's computer working right so she could Skype with her fiance while he was living in Cali, which is close enough to a trip romance for me.

Christmas in July
Lots of babysitting of the cutest nieces and nephews in the world. And a new niece and nephew were born in August - they had the same due dates but were 6 days apart. I love babies! Anyway, I was given this gingerbread house kit at Christmas time. What a better way to bring it out than on a rainy July day? (Yes, the kids ate all the candy - only some of it was hard.)

Girls Camp

(I was going to show you a very embarrassing video of me dancing, but it wouldn't upload. I tried with all the nerd skills I could muster and it wouldn't work. Sorry!) No, Megan did not get to come, but she had fun helping me pack. Girls camp was fun as a young woman. It's even better as a leader. Minus the bear they had to shoot, camp was great. I love family wards.

Family Trip to Oregon

"Alicia, that doesn't look like Oregon! It looks like a nasty Motel 6 Bathroom!" Guess what? You're right! Why am I holding a pillow? I slept there. My dad's snoring really was that bad. I promise. Don't worry, I put the towel on the ground first. Whoever invented ear plugs is deserving of the Nobel Peace Prize. Really. It saved me the rest of the trip.

GOONIES!
We're still in Oregon here, folks. Canon Beach. Lots of Goonies filming occurred on this very beach. As did this picture of my parents and little bro.

The only sunset we had during our 10-day camping excursion. Just in case you were wondering, Oregon really is rainy and cold (but we didn't let that stop us from getting in the water).

EFY (awk)
After all these years of singleness, I thought I had avoided it-being an efy counselor. It was a volunteer thing, so I felt obligated. While I did love my girls, let's just say I was officially the Grandma Counselor and we'll leave it at that. (21-year-old boys + 19-year-old girls=40+flirting YSA's. I'm sure I was never that immature. Right?)

Jenn's Wedding!
No, that is NOT Jenn pretending to be that real strong male gymanst. That's Jenn's-husband's-BFF-from-the-mission-who-also-happens-to-be-friends-with-Pinky's-husband. Pinky set me up with him last spring. We went out. A lot. He got itchy. And then non-committal. And guess who spent all weekend entertaining him? Me. And Jaime's ex-boyfriend who was also in town for the wedding (they really hit it off - we thought it was appropriate). Yes, the seating arrangements at the dinner were awkward. And yes, it's confusing - read it slowly and it will make sense.

What? The bikes we just rode around on in the parking lot are the Elders' and not Jenn's fiance's? As Elisabeth said, "Our first hint should have been the tall seats. Clearly not one of 'the boys' bikes." (They're a bit lacking in the height department. But most of them make up for it in awesomeness.)

Kyle. Sigh. Enough said. And basically, Jenn's wedding was PERFECT. She was hotter than Texas on an August afternoon (and that's HOT! I apologize again for how much I sweat at the temple. How embarrassing. There is a reason I live in the desert.) I was so busy filming and editing the wedding video that I didn't get many pictures of Jenn. And the ones I stole from Pinky are still on my other computer. So take a look at Pinky's blog and then beg Jenn for more pics (I'm still dying to see the one of us jumping where we AREN'T showing our religion. If you know what I mean.) And Katie - it was SO good to see you!

Blind Dates
Someone must have decided to put me on a blind date blitz. One involved a hitch hiker. Another involved "the chair game." (It's even more awkward than it sounds.) Another involves a stabbing (sort of). And the list goes on. We'll leave it at that.

Jamie's Wedding!
No, that's not Jamie's baby. It's Shannon's beautiful Marlee! She's even more adorable in real life. Another perfect wedding. Sigh. Leaving Tiff, Jaime Mabray, and me to carry on the Singleness. (However, since Jaime got 2 the night of Jenn's wedding, things are looking up for her. Tiff - the race is on.)

Mom
I've left out a lot that's happened (despite how long this post is, I promise I didn't include EVERY detail of the last few months) but I couldn't end without this. My mom is amazing. And that is an understatement. While my sister was in town from Japan we took some family pictures. (Thank you Netell) She looks great, doesn't she! I dare any of you to look that great after going through as much chemo as she's had. The tests are bad and keep getting worse, but she is our miracle and has yet to spend an entire day in bed. (Your prayers are working. REALLY, they are.) Every.Day.Matters. Now that you're done reading this eternal post, say a little prayer of gratitude that your mom is still alive, and go call her and tell her you love her. :)

3 comments:

Crystal said...

Thanks for the post Alicia! LOVE the sunset picture. . . And the one of you and your mom. You both look amazing.

Elisabeth (and Tyler) said...

LOOOOOOOOVE the pictures and even more especially the captions that go along with them. I can HEAR you saying it all!! I adore the picture of you and your mom. I'm excited to see all the rest.. What an awesome family. I LOVE YOU! And I'm totally counting down the weeks until Christmas break!

Unknown said...

I love you!! You are so amazing and you made my night with your forever long fun post :: I wish I could have one every night :: I guess I will have to make due with reading this one every night ;) Looks like you had a busy, fun summer with tons of awkwardness :: I would not expect anything different from you!! Kay more info on the bear shooting and stabbing please :: I love that you add that like nothing :) Also I am sorry that things aren't looking good for your mom but she is such a miracle and we will continue to keep her in our prayers!! Did I say I love you???