Sunday, November 15, 2009

"Let's Talk About Memories!"*

*This quote cannot go unattributed. Jaime Mabray would always say that is a kid. Apparently she like talking about memories! (Who doesn't?)

I was sitting in church 2 weeks ago (yes, I'm only 2 weeks behind in the posting world . . . aren't you proud?) We sang this song. It made me laugh in my innards (people would have looked at me funny if I had laughed out loud . . . but people always look at me funny, so I guess I should have done it). Please bless all you King Henry women are currently singing the alto note of that song in your head. I will forever associate that song with our amazingly un-talented King Henry ward choir (no offense to Krista and all who participated - she really tried hard, and that's all that matters.)

And yesterday I went to Provo for an awkward baby shower (really, has there ever been a baby shower that wasn't awkward? Ok . . . I guess I realized there are mothers out there reading this who probably had quite normal baby showers . . . I was just too unfortunate to not attend any of them.) After the baby shower I had a few minutes to kill while I was waiting to meet up with a friend. So I decided to do a drive-by of all the places I'd lived. It was fun. I realized I had my camera with me when I made to the King Henry, but was much too lazy to park and walk up to the door to see if it's still "78" and to get a picture of it. (And let's be honest, I probably would have been towed or booted if I had tried.) So I took a picture of 78's backside. Knowing how much I love my own backside (shout-out to Towanda) I thought it was extremely appropriate. If you look close you can see the bunk beds from the middle room (Tiff/Crystal/Jaime's room - right?) Pretty sure they're the same bunkbeds our grandparents used when they lived there (did any of us have grandparents who lived there? I just made it up, but it would be highly cool if it were true).


So I was thinking . . . "Let's talk about memories?" What are your favorite apartment 78 memories? Here's a few I remember (and I apologize to those who never lived in apartment 78 - we had to start somewhere!)
  • "Yep, still a brick wall!" - Crystal
  • Abbey giving Joey a bloody nose (you rock girl)
  • Talking to Crystal in the DR
  • Playing "Trump that Succor!"
  • Sweet Swaps. No one ever got married because of sweet swaps. Oh wait - Abbey, can we blame your marriage on a sweet swap night? (We had quite a few awkward ones.)
  • 6 girls + 1 bathroom = messy. Even after it's cleaned.
  • NO HEAT (remember those space heaters?)
  • Clogging and doing lifts in the sky light
  • Backstreet boys - the originals
  • Speaking of boys . . . we were (and still are) really cute girls! How come Jaime and Abbey were the only roommates who got any action from a King Henry boy? (unless I'm forgetting someone . . . )
  • My powdered milk. How embarrassing. I'm amazed you all still talk to me.
  • 2
  • "All I want for Christmas, is "STU!" (btw, I heard he just moved back to SLC)
  • April Fool's jokes on the boys. I'll never forget Abbey grabbing a pile of dishes and putting them on some boys bed. They didn't get it.
  • The smell. We never figured it out. Spent hours, looking and being paranoid. Found nothing.
  • The awkward maintenance men who used our microwave.
  • Mold. In our bedroom. Gross. (It's amazing we made it out of that place alive.)
  • And last but not least, yelling for Tiff until she came into our room to answer awkward questions. Yes Abbey, cats do have periods! :)
Please add to the list!!!!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

hahahahaha!! Thanks for the reminders :: I had forgotten about so much of that and it really made my night :) I remember:

having pretty much every relief society leadership postion filled by girls in our apt (except Katie :: we wished you lived with us)

definitely remember the mold
and then remember the funky stain on the middle of our carpet that they kept on charging us over and over for

Also Abbey's amazing art projects :: especially the one of the roommates

Alicia hanging Christmas lights awkwardly from our skylight :: ps why did we have a skylight??

Thinking the boys in our ward were so lucky to have the remodeled apartments

And lastly feeling so lucky that the girl in my original apartment asked me to trade with her so that I got to become eternal friends and roommates with the crazy girls of 78!!

Amber Marie said...

thanks for the king henry picture. i desperately miss utah and everything that was. what fun times! you guys have good memories, i just remember laughing A LOT.

now i need to go wash the pimple cream off my face since it is almost 11am. some things really never change :)

Crystal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Crystal said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! HA! HAHA! Good memory Alicia! Although it was short lived for me, I definitely remember playing cards. A lot. I miss!

Unknown said...

Amber I am so glad that you still wear pimple cream :)

Elisabeth (and Tyler) said...

I feel like I lived there too :)

A Painted Diary said...

I heard that crushed asprin works well as pimple cream. with a little water.

katie said...

I remember coming to visit you all the time to regain a little sanity and wishing that I had decided to stay in 78 for that year instead of moving downstairs. And I remember singing with Alicia a lot and loving it, though in retrospect it was probably really annoying to the rest of you! Y'all are the best and I am so thankful to have you as friends! I'm writing this on Thanksgiving. You make the thankful list every time. :o)