I know there are a lot of good things about being single. For example, no one tries to steal my blankets or kick when I'm sleeping. I can do whatever I want, whenever I want, and I don't have to report to anyone. If I stay up late to post a blog, no one cares (except me the next day when I'm tired - does 9:59 count as late? Don't answer). I can travel to cool places like New York over Spring Break (bless Elisabeth for being the best hostess ever - pictures to come, promise!) The toilet seat is always down and the bathroom stays clean. I don't have to iron anyone else's clothes (or fold them for that matter). Anyway - that list could go on and on. But I would just like to complain about this one little thing, if I may.
I finally got around to doing my taxes this weekend. Yeah, I know I was cutting it close to the dreaded April 15th day (by the way, I'm SO grateful April 15th is not my birthday) but at least they're done on time. When all was said and done, I was getting a few hundred back. (Is it "improper" to tell people over the world wide web how much you are getting for your tax refund? Let's just say it's less then $1000 and more than $500.) I was feeling pretty good about myself, when I came out to share the good news with my sister and her husband. Their response? "Oh bummer!" (With looks of despair on their faces.) "Really, you need to get married and own a house and have a couple of kids, then you get thousands back!"
Why does the government feel it's ok to punish us single people by making us pay more taxes? Doesn't make much sense to me. Single and zero - I decided this status is more depressing than not having a man on Valentine's Day. It's enough to be single, but single AND zero? Woof. Now I get that all y'all with houses and kids deserve a break, I won't argue on that one, but maybe we should make a proposal to the legislature - deductions for awkward dates and lame guys. What do you think? Then it would even out - those who aren't doing their part still pay the "single and zero" status, while those of us who are TRYING to get out of what, according to the government, must be a pretty awful situation, get a little break. Anyone agree?
2 comments:
you are too cute!! I would definitely back that proposal!!
or maybe it isn't so much that you are single but that you aren't making enough...you know, because if you paid more in taxes over the year then you'd be getting more of YOUR MONEY back. or you could hire a really creative accountant.
sorry, i'm 9 months pregnant. i'm not in the mood to agree that getting married and having kids is the answer to getting a little more dough back from the government. There HAS to be other ways! ;)
p.s. i am a full supporter of marriage. promise.
Post a Comment