Monday, April 4, 2011

Just Because I Did it Once, Doesn't Mean I Can Do It Again

While I was in Minneapolis (more on that shortly) I had the news turned on in the morning while I was getting ready and GUESS WHAT?! You won't believe this, but trust me, it's true (well, according to the true-ness of the news). The term "Domestic Goddess" is now in Webster's dictionary. And no, the definition does not mention my name. Shock!

In my quest to become a domestical goddess, I signed up for a sewing class (thank you, Groupon). Keep in mind that the last thing I sort of sewed was 6 ish years ago when I asked my Mom to teach me how to make some very-simple pillow covers. But I'm pretty sure she did all the hard stuff because she couldn't believe how much I didn't know, and found it easier to just do it herself. So I came knowing little more than if you push your foot down on a pedal, the machine does its magic. The class was not your typical "you'll learn how to make a pair of awkward pajama pants" class. Only 5 people allowed, and I'm 97% sure I was the only Mormon there. (Not sure why that matters, just giving all the details.) "So what, dear domestical goddess, did you learn how to make," you ask? Oh, just a robe. If you promise not to look close at any stitching, you can look at the picture. Next to the guy who made his out of a pink flamingo print, I'd say mine turned out good. Real good. I even "customized" mine and chopped off the sleeves (the long ones were driving me nuts).


And no, I didn't take my robe with me to Minneapolis. Remember back in college when Crystal and I would go to our nerd conferences? Well, my only compensation for being awarded the Nerd of the Year award was this trip out to the same conference we used to go to. They let me judge one of the contests I competed in as a college student - weird. I'm real old because those college kids looked real young.

Can I just say that I LOVE Minneapolis? While it WAS colder than Utah (30 degrees was the high) I hardly noticed it as I walked through all the Skyways that connect EVERYTHING downtown. If you know where you're going, you don't have to step foot outside. SO cool. And don't even get me started on Mall of America. A woman's dream. Anyway, here are some pics for your viewing pleasure.

This one's for Crystal. Shum on the left with the new "Barrett" on the right. Yeah, he looks like he's 12. He's not.

I was the 1st in my little group to get my award which meant I had to stand up there the longest. Wanna know what was going through my head? "This is such a funny ritual that we have. I think I've been on this stage for 5 minutes. I feel like I'm in a Miss America pageant. Should I wave while I try to smile awkwardly? At least I'm not in a swimsuit. Please bless no one is actually looking at me. This is so awkward. I wonder what the lady next to me is thinking? Don't laugh. Don't laugh. Don't laugh."

And here's us nerds in all our glory. The guy to my left was married. I checked. Twice. The guy behind me did NOT throw up on me (thankfully).

That is all.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your award!!! and your new sewing prowless ;) But really I am impressed!! I love the robe :)