Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Ministering Angels

Beloved Roommates (I mean Sisters)-
So a few weeks ago (well, I guess it was more than a few weeks ago, but my concept of time has completely gone away) sorry - back to a "a few weeks ago" my dad gave a talk in church on ministering angels. I'll be honest, I wasn't there to hear it, nor have I read it, but I thought it an interesting topic for a Sacrament meeting talk. In light of recent events, I have had many things running through my mind, and have obviously thought much about the next life. While my knowledge of the next life is extremely limited, I have learned through experiences too sacred to share that we DO have ministering "angels" (or whatever you want to call them) on the other side who are very aware of us and our situation in life.

While it is neat to think that our deceased family members are keeping on eye on us, they have assignments and work they must do, and often the Lord relies on living "ministering angels." Thank you for being my ministering angels the past few weeks.

My testimony of just about every aspect of the gospel has grown in ways I never knew it could, and I hope you don't mind if I share parts of it here. I KNOW there is a power to prayer that is much greater than we could ever imagine, and is available to all. I know this because I have felt your prayers. There have been times when the pain is so strong that I am ready to give up, but guess what? I can't. The prayers of good friends (and people I don't even know) keep me from dropping too low. It's an incredible feeling and words truly cannot describe it.

I am forever grateful for the Gift of the Holy Ghost and for the Priesthood power that bestows it on us. I have recognized how tender that Gift is, and how easily the Spirit can be offended. He truly is the Comforter, and I am grateful for peace and calmness that come during times of storm.

I have recently fell in love with the hymn, "I'll Go Where You Want Me to Go." (My uncles and cousins sang an incredible version of it at the funeral.)
"But if by a still, small voice He calls to paths I do not know,
I’ll answer, dear Lord, with my hand in Thine,
I’ll go where You want me to go."

These have been "paths I do not know" but I know the Lord is molding me to become who He would have me become, rather than who I would have me become.

Ok - now I'm rambling and you all are bored. I have pages and pages of miracles and tender mercies I could share with you, but I guess that will have to be another day. Just know that Lindsey and Greg's influence has gone far beyond the reaches of their missions and people all over the world are being touched by their faith and examples. I personally have been happier, more dedicated to what truly matters, more observant of others, more willing to share the gospel . . . the list goes on and on. And there's lots more I'm still working on, all because of Linz.

I read "The Gateway We Call Death" by Elder Nelson (thank you, Tina - btw, it's an amazing book and I highly recommend it). There is a chapter about mourning, and Elder Nelson talks about those who are able to help with people in mourning and quotes from Mosiah 18 (mourn with those that mourn, comfort those that stand in need of comfort . . .) and then he says this, "Moreover, any who provide comfort to those in mourning will receive their own reward." I hope you will all receive your reward soon, if you haven't already, because I'm praying that you will be blessed for your kindness.

Today I received something that brought me to tears (which isn't all that hard these days). You will NEVER EVER know how much your gift means to me. It is something I will cherish forever and is so completely perfect. I'm sure some of you haven't seen it, so I've posted a few pictures here. I can't say much because just typing this has made me start crying again. I love you all so so so so so much. I wish we could all be together and give each other hugs right now (oh yeah, remember my bubble? Pretty sure I've given and received enough hugs to last 27 years and I've loved every minute of it). I also wish I could send you all your own "thank you" notes, but I'm pretty sure I have no one's addresses. (Abbey, I will send one to your mom - please tell her it is the most beautiful and perfect thing I've ever been given.) Lately I have been praying for the help to not forget. I don't want to forget Lindsey-her smile, her laugh, her funny quirks, and her amazingness. I also don't want to forget the feelings I had at both the viewing and the funeral and during the past few weeks. Your gift will help me to remember - how can I not remember every time I look at it? Thank you thank you thank you - I love you all! (and I'm so sorry this is so long!) (And fyi I'm on my way to Japan early Friday morning, so if you try to call and I don't call you back, that's why!)

8 comments:

A Painted Diary said...

When I heard of the loss of your sister, i immediately called my mom and asked her about the divider. She had painted it, but hadn't found a home for it. She told me that as she was writing all of our names on the back and the quote, she knew that she made it for you, and that it was truly in memory of Lindsey and the life she lived. I love you! It looks beautiful in your home!

Amber Marie said...

thank you for sharing yet again alicia! goodness, it gave me goosebumps and brought me to tears. I love how this experience for you has strengthened your testimony and in furthermore strengthened mine. thank you.

I am so glad Abbey and her mom had such a wonderful gift that we could all be a part of. Thank you again Abs for letting us be a part of this gift.

Also, thank you for posting pictures of the divider. I love it!

Love you all,
Amber Marie

Unknown said...

the spirit that your message carries is so strong...i did not get bored for a minute of it!! I know that the Lord appreciates your choice to turn to him in your time of need...remember Alicia...it was a choice and by making that choice you showed your faith and strength of character and for that I am thankful. I will remember your example. and don't worry about ever forgetting lindsey...she will never let you forget :)
Abbey, thanks for thinking of something so wonderful!!

Crystal said...

Amen to those comments. I don't have much to add, but thank YOU Alicia for being so strong. Your strength strengthens me.

katie said...

Thanks Alicia for sharing. Just thanks. You are so wonderful and so loved.

And Abbey, thanks to you! A-mazing.

Elisabeth said...

You're incredible, Alicia. I'm in awe. Always! Have fun in the motherland :)

Mardee Rae said...

I don't feel like my comments really belong here, but I can't help but want to tell you, Alicia, that I'm so sorry for your loss. I really appreciate your testimony and strength.

Tiff and Llyr said...

I´m not very eloquent and this was posted the day before I left for Brazil so I just read it today. I´m sitting in a member´s house in Brazil looking out the window at the amazing mountains of a small mountain town that I got to spend almost 8 months of my mission. It´s amazing how the love for the area and people just come rushing back. Knowing Lindz the little that I got to know I know she loved the areas and people she served. She and you, Alicia, are amazing examples to me of how to truly be disciples of Christ. I love you. Maybe with time I can keep learning and applying the things I´m learning from you.