Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Radies and Gentremen . . . My Trip!

(Sorry if the title offends anyone - the cute Japanese people can't say their R's, so when they say "Ladies and Gentlemen" it sounds more like "Radies and Genterman.")

The long-awaited post is finally here. I made it back from Japan, survived nerd camp, and am finally getting around to posting about my trip to the Motherland.

What did I do in Japan? The better question is what DIDN'T I do in Japan. Here are a few pics and some explanations to give you a better idea of why I'm glad I can claim I have Asian blood (which isn't true . . . I just look like I contain Asian blood).

This is me after 18 HOURS of traveling. SLC to San Fran to Tokyo. Then a 1-hour bus ride to another airport in Tokyo, then Tokyo to Okinawa. 24 hours total. 24 hours of traveling = not fun. On my way back to the states I sent next to backwards mullet man who drank alcohol the entire 12 hour flight AND had horrible B.O. I think I would have traveled with a baby than sat by him. Needless to say he did NOT ask for my number. :)




Snorkeling. Probably what I loved most (besides the fam and the food). I can't even begin to describe everything I saw. Take Finding Nemo and had several hundred more kinds of fish and you'll have what I swam in during my 3 week adventure. It was all fun and games until I saw the ever-poisonous sea snake!!! I swam my little tail off to get away from that guy. Luckily no one was seriously hurt - including my 4-year-old nephew Marcus who is snorkeling next to me in this picture.

Two words: Awkward and gross. This is a squat and shot that the Japanese people actually use. To me it simply looks like an accident waiting to happen - what if your aim was off? (sorry, I know it's gory, but it's just nasty - Julia, any insight or history on these horrid things would be much appreciated.)




The above is a video of what is called "Drop Slide Park." You hang from a pole and literally "drop" yourself down the slide. You free fall for a couple seconds so it's kind of scary at first, but definitely worth the rush. Pretty sure the Japanese know how to make parks. I spent a large part of my first week there going to all the AMAZING parks they have. I can't really describe how cool they are - just know that they would never fly in America because they are a law suit waiting to happen. Bless the Japanese for not being law suit crazy so normal people like us can play on the best parks in the world!

Every been to Sea World? Well, I haven't. But apparently this aquarium we went to is bigger and better. Pretty sure we loved it. Especially the dolphin show and the huge indoor aquarium we ate our lunch in front of with the biggest fish and stingrays I've ever seen.



We spent one weekend at a military (inexpensive but still nice) resort. This is the view just outside our hotel door. Gotta love it!!!








Yup, this is me PARASAILING over the beautiful China Sea. The coolest part was that while we were in the boat we saw flying fish. They fly MUCH faster than the boat and stay in the air for sometimes up to a minute. Way cool.






My "Oriental Fling." My brother in law is the branch president and this Marine just moved into their ward. He told my he's a firefighter for the aircrafts, but my sister said if I REALLY knew what he did I would propose on the spot. We had a romantical evening complete with real Japanese food, a 3D roller coaster ride (loved it), a ride in a ferris wheel that's on top of a building, a street performer, and a long walk on the beach. It was the perfect date!

The sunset on the beach that you can walk to from my sister's house. Oh how I miss Okinawa!!!

My cute toes!!!! When you get pedicures in Japan they make your toes look real nice. Pretty sure I would go back to Japan every 2 months just for one of these babies.






These people are fake Japanese royalty we saw at a parade. Since they know we're americans they count to 3 and then say "Cheeseburger!" to make us laugh. It worked.





I was able to spend 5 days in Tokyo. Loved it. After 25 years and traveling over 5,000 miles guess what I FINALLY did? Went to Disneyland! Loved it - especially Captain Jack Sparrow who hunted us down after he saw us (how could he resist me?) He looked and acted just like the real thing. Be still my heart!



Well, if you're still reading, I'm very impressed. However, you should also be impressed with me. I have over 300 pics and had to narrow it down to a choice few. Hope you enjoyed the log of my trip - I highly recommend Okinawa, especially if you have a sister as a tour guide.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

what a fun trip!! Don't judge all disneylands based on Tokyo though...I hope it wasn't too crazy hot or crowded ;) Your fling sounds like fun...any chance it could be any more than a fling?? I love the japanese accents...especially cause my dad has one ;) also the toilets...all i can say is that is why the japanese are so skinny...they find exercise in any way they can ;) it also helps even the youngest potty trained soul to have excellent coordination...my dad would say it is because japanese are well above others in so many ways they don't need seats...personally i think it is just because the japanese are so germ crazy they would never think of setting their behinds on something millions of others had sat nakedly on ;)

katie said...

wow spjute! what a fun trip! parasailing?! you're much braver than I am. :o)

Crystal said...

Well done Alicia, well done.

Elisabeth said...

Let's have one of our Sisterhood Reunions in Japan.. Sound good? You can be our tour guide. I want to do everything you did--with the exception of the fling. Let's do everything twice :)

Amber Marie said...

wow what a cool trip! I love all the pictures, especially the Japanese fling!! :)